Monday, October 6, 2008

About the Hortas

Dear Readers,
Well here it is, finally, the Horta family blog! I can't believe I am able to find time to set this up. Actually, I am home sick today. After a visit to the ER on Saturday night, of course I am not able to get in to my doctor until thursday, so......with all the free time I have, I decided to see if I can do this blog. My son, Brandon, and his wife, Christine, are napping; he was up early returning the sound equipment for his latest movie to the college library; and she had difficulty sleeping last night due to her knee pain, for which she is going to have surgery on the 15th. My daughter, Kimberly is off to her internship; working for M-80 an advertising agency. She does that 3 days a week, and then works for money the other days of the week at a movie theater, where she is being trained as assistant manager. We are all just grateful to be employed during these difficult economic times. Brandon hasn't been able to work much due to school this semester. His movie production class takes alot of hours. Christine is out on medical leave. She is able to go to college however.
We discussed last night that we need more "family time". At least I do. We all share the same house, but rarely have any real planned time together due to our unusual schedules. We used to have family meetings but lately haven't all been off together. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they miss the meetings as well so we will make a stronger effort to reconnect. The weather is cooler here now and so I am lovin it. We live in a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house so just getting bathroom time is a priviledge. Somehow it all works out. I try to keep my bedroom as neat as possible so that I don't go crazy. It is my retreat. The rest of the house is a hodgepodge of furniture and belongings. Think The Weasleys house from Harry Potter.
Add to all this our 3 dogs and it becomes quite cozy. How I got to be the owner of 3 dogs is simple. We had Penny who needed a 'friend' so we adopted 'Jack' from the pound, and then my coworker said her new dog attacked her nanny and would I take it so her kids could still visit him? Anyway, this vicious dog turned out to be a real love. He is a dashund mix so we named him 'Link'. He is Kimberly's dog so she takes care of him. I am his 'Grandma'.
Speaking of Grandmas, I am beginning to think that day will never arrive. Brandon still has 2 more years of college and then another year to save for their own home. When I get sick like this, I think I might not make it. It is wonderful to see the love they have for each other even after 2 years they are so sweet to see! I am glad to be blessed by their company. Brandon thinks he is taking care of me and maybe he is...otherwise what would I do with all my time staring at the walls? It is safer to know someone is almost always home now. The years flew by and I can not believe how fast. I just kept thinking "Oh this is my favorite age" and it was one long love story. They have blessed my life so abundantly!

1 comment:

Jacque said...

Right on! I have loved every age of my children...and yours too :)