Saturday, April 25, 2009

What do you think of my hair?

Dear all,
I can not believe that it has been so long since I posted a note! The computer is on the fritz, and I don't like to borrow the laptops unless I need to pay the bills. Those of you who are waiting for me to answer their emails...I have over 300 pieces to sort through! I wanted to post something about being easily offended and slow to forgive. I really want those I love to be slow to be offended, and quick to forgive. Especially when writing, it is so easy to be misunderstood. No facial expressions, or tone, to alter one's meanings. I find that it always helps to talk, talk, talk, until both parties understand each other. Keeping it in the "I feel thus, when you blah, blah, blah...is one excercise which seems to help. Also, repeating back what you think the person is saying to the person is a great way to get clarification. ie Are you saying...? or Do you mean...? It is also allowable to say..."You know, I'm feeling kind of irritable today so please...". Someday these misunderstandings will be foder for laughter if handled the correct way. For instance...My son hates spiders. I mean he really hates them. So the other day he was balancing on his bed and trying to check the drapes for the critters when...he lost his balance, and in flailing around grabbed the head of his Goofy phone and it, of course, came off in his hand! He brought it to me, heartbroken, to see if I thought it could be fixed. He is 27. Now, I did not laugh...then. Much later, I did have a chuckle, and I am sure someday soon he will too. I marvel at my restraint! The point is funny things, and not so funny things, happen in life; and sometimes its best to refrain from comment for a moment or even a season. This same son, when asked yesterday by his lovely wife, what he thought of her new hairstyle for the ball, said without thinking "it's messy", or "it's a mess" depending upon whom you ask. Many tears later, and after much advice from sister and mother, we let them solve it themselves. Since they were both still at my house when I woke up this am for work, I assume they are fine; and Kimberly and I have a funny family story to tell. I'm sure they too will think it funny someday. It is like the question "do these pants make me look fat?" . Always, always, always, say "No!"(if you are the husband). Hope you all are seeing the glass as half full and finding the funny times to remember. Love Kim

No comments: