Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Flu

Hi all!
Well, here it is...We have been hearing about H1N1 for months, and since I am a health care professional I get to really be hearing about it, so when my daughter exhibits symptoms of the flu; body aches, temp of 100+, headache, running nose (the worst ever), sore throat, ear ache, and finally cough, I tell her to get herself to the Doctor and let him know I work in NICU so I need to be sure it isn't H1N1. She goes and comes home on antibiotics and a nasal decongestant. No, he doesn't think she has IT! Why? Because she should have more body aches! He says its probably some other virus. This is my big girl who never complains, but did, and so I gave her my arthritis Tylenol (1350mg) to help with the fever and pain, as well as 2 Benydryl to help with the copious nasal discharge, and to facilitate sleep the night before. She was pale as a corpse with huge dark circles under her eyes; and you all know she's normally a beautiful brown sugar color, with sparklely eyes. This doctor did not check her by swabbing her nose or throat, so I don't know if I've been exposed! How are we supposed to keep the public protected if doctors don't do their job? Now, my son is complaining of ear ache and feeling confused, and so went to urgent care last night where they prescribed...you guessed it antibiotics and a decongestant! No one swabbed him either, so we still don't know. We are all in the high risk group in our family, since Kimberly is 24, and Brandon, Christine and I have underlying health problems of asthma, CP, and Lupus. In case you don't know, antibiotics don't work on viruses. I'm still having them take them just in case it really is bacterial, but I'm skeptical. With this kind of healthcare we should all be sick in no time! Just a heads up...In our family we have a nail biter, face touchers, nose itchers, etc and so all the hand washing in the world is not going to be insurance enough. They carry hand sanitizer in their backpacks, purses, cars, and so on, but as you see they are still all sick. I wash my hands every few minutes (since I'm in healthcare, its a habit). I'm feeling that familiar tickle in my throat, and can't tell for sure, but I don't think the warmth I feel is a hot flash. I took a sudafed a little while ago for my post nasal drip, and I feel a little "off". Sure wish I knew if this was the H1N1...since I'm now at work for the day! Stay well if you can, Love Kim

1 comment:

Grammie said...

Oh my.....I would think with all your connections, Kim, that you could get a doctor to test them, especially since the doctors would also be protecting you and the babies you care for. It just doesn't make sense, does it?

I know if get it, it will probably kill me 'cause last January when I got the 24 hour flu, I had to call 911 for an ambulance to take me to the hospital so they could shock my heart to get it beating right, again. I am trying to be so careful..Larry and I are flying to Illinois on the 21st of October. I am not relishing being exposed to all the germs on the plane! Will you be there? I hope so. It would be so nice to all be together for a few days. Hope you and your family are doing better. I will keep all of you in my prayers. Love Aunt Kathy